Re: [LUG] New Server anyone? (Cheap, HP!)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

On 15/12/2010 08:58, Gordon Henderson wrote:

http://www.it247.com/product/1/COMSUK23/612275-421-HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-Dual-Core-1-3Ghz-AMD-Athlon-II.html#
Looks like a pretty good deal if you follow up the cash back offer too.

Gordon

I guess it's OK for home use - hardly what I'd call 'server' spec tho.....and not a patch on the ML115 G5- Quad Core 2.1/2.2 Ghz Opteron that was more or less the same price.

Depends what you want your server to serve ... I have a few small businesses with a 1GHz server with a pair of mirrored drives connected to their Gb LAN, running Samba, + LAMP and they "just work".

You don't need cores for fileserving unless you've got money (in heat) to throw away as they'll be idle 99% of the time.

This is a perfect small-office replacement for some of my existing ones that are now in their 4th year.

Gordon