Re: [LUG] OT: ish any piano players out there?

As with most things you get what you pay for.

Weighted velocity sensing midi keyboards can be expensive, especially
if going for an 88+ key unit (like a piano).

Personally, if you're looking to just start at a beginner level,
choose a higher number of cheaper keys rather than an octave or two of
"pro" keys.  88 keys is cool but you'll be lucky to obtain one for
less than 200 quid.  49 keys is ok, with a few octaves to play with
and much cheaper.

The m-audio range seem to get ok reviews, something like this might be
what you're looking for:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/21213-m-audio-keyrig-49-usb-midi-controller.html

I've used a few and not had any trouble with linux or windows
(whatever editions) getting either midi (if you've got the ports) or
usb keyboards to work, although I'm not the guy to write a "howto"
guide, I just bumble along as usual :D

You'll probably need jackd to route the midi data, but the usb side
should just work from ubuntu (any recent flavour).

If you really want the piano feel, then you'll want "fully weighted
keys".  Dont be fobbed off with "half weight".  Make sure Mr Wallet is
sat down before giving him the news:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/42676-akai-mpk-88-hammer-action-usb-midi-keyboard-controller.html