Re: [LUG] ubuntu preferences menu misbehaving

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 07:33 +0000, tom wrote:

> <grasp item=straw>Have you looked in the wastebasket to see it it ended
> up there?
> </grasp>
Thanks for the idea - I loved it. I had another look at the apt log and
it seemed I did not reinstall every dependency of synaptic - but doing
so (e.g. ubuntu-desktop) made no difference. Nor does purging
systemsettings and reinstalling. I am left with the reduced set of
modules I mentioned (and a broken synaptic). Interesting that update
manager stalled until I killed its .desktop application then it
downloaded several updates. I really wanted to use the printer module to
check which ink cartridge to replace, as escputil does not work - it
tells me the device is busy which it isn't.

I disabled apt-cacher-ng s I could do a recovery boot and nothing was
corrected. I am wondering about a complete reinstall or perhaps a
apt-get dist-upgrade?

It would be more fun if I could solve the problems. I was hoping to
solve this one and then go on to the network printer problem on my
laptop. Hey ho!

James

--
james kilty