Re: [LUG] mithras birthday comes early

On 17/11/10 11:22, tom wrote:

> I'd argue that on an older machine doing a couple of things it should
> help enormously.

I'd argue that new schedulers have been heralded as the new faster
GNU/Linux desktop before, when the cause of slowness on my GNU/Linux
desktops is almost entirely down to software bloat, and excessive I/O,
neither of which a scheduler will reduce.

Thus if scheduling isn't the problem, and the default scheduler in
Ubuntu Live CD use to do a fairly good job of playing 40 videos
simultaneously on low end PC hardware, I'd expect improved scheduling to
make almost no difference to subjective experience.

Sure as Linus is quoted, if your load average is 50, i.e. you have 50
tasks waiting to run, then sure prioritizing those on your desktop will
keep the machine more responsive, trading off the speed with which the
other tasks are done.

My highest 1 minute load average this morning was 0.24 on relatively old
hardware, okay I'm not compiling kernels continuously like Linus, and
interactive response is usually excellent.

Always happy to see schedule improvements, but mostly interested in what
my servers do when disk I/O is slow, and Postfix and Apache both hit
their maximum number of processes as a result, and of course memory is
tightest at this point, and then cron decides it should do todays
backup. Currently they do rather well, as long as you don't want OpenSSH
to spawn another process to allow you to login and see what is happening.

 Simon