Re: [LUG] pdf files: latest problem

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Adobe have I believe come out with the latest update
   Adobe LiveCycle ES2 Service Pack 2

For some reason HMRC have installed this service pack and neither xpdf nor
evince can open the files.

I quote

Please wait...
If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the
document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.
You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or
Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit
http://www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html.

Ye gods...

Way back in the days when I used to use Adobe reader, I remember that they had some sort of built-in javascript - my guess is that documents produced aren't actually the real documents, but a 'stub' of some sort which then has a javascript section to fetch the real document and then display it.

What a completely screwed up way to do things.

Gordon