Re: [LUG] OT Yenka anyone??

tom wrote:
On 11/11/10 13:00, David Vanstone wrote:
tom wrote:
On 10/11/10 18:26, David Vanstone wrote:
I can remember the days of crocodile technology for simulating electronics, and oh how they were good days!! Well then it changed to crocodile technology and now yenka! What a smart little program, and now to make things better its free and available for linux!!

http://www.yenka.com/en/Free_home_licences/

Dave

Thats of one of them there drug deals - here have a bit for free and once your hooked you have to mug old ladies to pay pay pay.

Good alternatives to all their offerings are available under the GPL somewhere
Tom te tom te  tom

Hmm seems that is not the case, i can remember it being hideously priced at one point but now by the looks of it, its totally free

Quote: You'll find a range of free products and resources on Yenka. There's no catch: they're intended to let you try our software. We hope that, if you like it, you'll consider buying a licence for your school, but there's no obligation to do so.

   Use Yenka free at home

   * All of our Yenka products are free to use at home
<http://www.yenka.com/en/Free_Yenka_home_licences/> - you only
     need to buy a licence if you want to use them in school, too.

Hmm seems that is not the case, i can remember it being hideously priced at one point but now by the looks of it, its totally free

Dave

Thats the point - you give away free versions that cannot be used in anger (school) and then charge when they can. It's pester power - maybe a teacher tries it at home and thinks its great but to use it 'properly' you have to pay. In electronics PSpice gave away a student version for free along with examples and then sold a lot of the very expensive full versions because they people who went to work at various companies 'had to have their fix'. MS sell most of their office software because most of the managers in companies who are IT savy have to have MS word to write meaningless missives cos they're too stupid to learn how to use something else because they were taught how to use MS word in school/college.
Its viral marketing and should be treated with great care.
Tom te tom te tom

lol ah ha i got ya in that sense, eww ms word... Do you know of any alternatives under gpl?

Dave