Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 11.04 will use Unity as the default desktop

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

With every passing release, I am getting close and closer to having a
damn good clear out of my data, duplicating it somewhere and plonking
Debian back on the laptop.

Thought for the weekend: Do you *need* a desktop environment on your workstation (ie. the sort of thing that lets you drag and drop "files" to the desktop), or could use *use* a windowing environment (ie. something to manage lots of individual programs, but not neccessarily allow them to communicate with each other or drop files anywhere)...

I know I'm stuck in the dark ages, but I've been using a windowing environment since I first used X windows off a Sun worktation. Before that, I used 'screen' on vt100 type terminals, before that it really was the dark ages, however...

My file manager is 'ls'... And find, locate and a few other command-line utilities...

Ah well... time for bed!

Gordon