Re: [LUG] is your network secure?

On 28/10/10 10:55, Jaan Janesmae wrote:
> Actually, with wpa and wep all your communication is crypted. I mean
> It is much harder to listen to your traffic. On a open wifi box there
> is none of that. Basically the same thing when using hubs instead on
> switches for your local lan.
>
> Regards,
> Jaan

So this suggests that a switch also encrypts data on the network between
computers attached to it

or don't i understand something here?

This is something that would be good to discuss at a lug meet,

The ironic thing is when I first enquired at paignton library I
mentioned things like talks on internet safety (which the above would
come under) as one of the things we would like to do (as a public
service sort of thing), it is the sort of thing they want to encourage.

well encourage by forcing people to have computers pat tested,  then
take out liability insurance,  and for that, we are not even going to
charge the public for doing the talks.

Paul