Re: [LUG] diy cloud

On 27/10/10 13:13, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> If you think "cloud" is just a name for a bunch of physical or virtual
> servers then that's close enough for me...

In the absence of "hard" definitions....

For me the difference between virtualization and cloud, is a cloud
required distributed/redundant storage, so that you have redundancy
between sites. Although there are cloud computing products that don't
look anything like a convention server, I think until you get to the
point "oh London is down so we migrated your service/server to
Washington" it is still just virtualization.

Whilst I see many advantages to many of the virtualization products on
offer, reliably isn't one of them in my experience. I think the
complexity in providing a redundant server creates more risk than the
reliability of modern server hardware. A cheap Intel/Dell/HP server with
mirrored disks will happily give you an uptime till the fans wear out
(assuming you swap disk drives as/when they fail).