Re: [LUG] budget cuts

On 20/10/10 22:29, Guy Backhouse wrote:

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 21:07 +0100, Gibbs wrote:
On 20/10/10 19:20, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

now that we are starting to see the extent of budget cuts do you think
as a lug we can ALL step up a gear and get public services onto Open
source as a long term strategy,  perhaps the savings will offset some of
the cuts in services that are coming up

I know some of us are doing this,  but I am looking at the whole lug to
do this, after all its you're local services that are going to get the
chop possibly,

Paul
For me it depends on what the £1,000,000,000+ on "cyber security"
equates too.

Gibbs

Definition of; 'Cyber Security'  -  A means of depriving the people of
their (tax) monies that could be used to avoid a lot of the stringent
cuts yet is claimed to be needed, the people will have no clue as to
what it 'equates to' or for that matter how most of it is spent!!

Guy

I think this is all arse about face.
Windows is insecure because its easy to use.
It is possible to run pretty secure windows - you just take away from the users all the lies that MS told them and use sensible security settings. The users will complain like mad and not be able to use their machines - unfortunately some of the users will be higher than you in the food chain and you will be beaten to a pulp for telling the truth. I'd be interested to see how it is to manage a linux network of PC's in a 'business' role and see how users react to not being able to do anything they damn want NOW!!!! and hang the consequences. I think linux, run like windows, will soon be inundated with worms/virii etc and we may find MS has lowered the bar to the point we're all going to be banging our heads on it every time we move.
We can still run pretty secure web services tho...
Tom te tom te tom