Re: [LUG] Hackers ability to access WiFi exposed

On 16/10/10 07:41, tom wrote:
> On 15/10/10 18:18, Julian Hall wrote:

>>> sad thing ism  if we had got the library without all this extra expense
>>> / paperwork we as a lug could have perhaps given talks on things like
>>> this with info on how to improve security.
>>>
>>> which seems to be the sort of thing the library want to encourage people
>>> to do,  well they encourage you by asking groups of friends to pay lots
>>> of money for insurance.
>>>
>>> oh well.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>> Next door neighbour's network is wide open... told her months ago how
>> to close it.. even emailed her instructions for her exact router
>> (can't do it myself - wheelchairs don't like stairs).  She still
>> hasn't done it.  IMHO at that point it becomes the customer's fault.
>>
>> Julian
>>
> No - its MS fault.
> How you ask? Because they lied to you and told you computing was easy so
> you would buy their stuff. If they'd have been honest and said its
> actually quite tricky and you really learn to learn a few things rather
> than just open the box and plug it in...
> Its like a car manufacturer saying ignore that middle peddle it will
> just slow you down - mostly fine until you get onto the road with other
> cars.
> Tom te tom te tom

or more to the point ignore the fact you need working lights,  you need
to check oil levels, or tyre pressure, etc once in a while so your care
is safe.

I have seen several cars with 2 reversing lights where only one works,

so just like with cars, computers need some degree of maintenance.

Paul

--
16th October - White Hart  - Holsworthy 14:00 start
23rd October - Exwick Community Centre 14:00