Re: [LUG] The sustainability of open source project development

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 20:39 +0100, tom brough wrote:

> Putting a Managerial hat on for one moment (yuk) I could
> understand how nervous management would be to take a product that looked
> like it was not being developed or moved on.

Agreed. I was asked by one of our managers a few weeks ago to look at an
(open-source) project to see if it would do what they wanted, and if it
was 'alive'. He didn't want something that had no support, and wasn't
being used or maintained by anyone.

(A simple look at the mailing list archives for 'users' and 'developers'
seemed to indicate that it certainly was used by others, and was
actively/currently maintained by a team of people. I reported back as
such, and they will look into it further.)

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001