Re: [LUG] Health and Safety

On 07/10/10 19:58, Rob Beard wrote:
On 07/10/10 16:59, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 07/10/10 14:33, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:37:46 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hello Gordon,

Not really relevant here, but I'm sure we've all heard of something
being stopped due to HES reasons... Well, the HSE have been publishing
"myth

More often than not, it's not the HSE, but the organisation's (school,
company, whatever) fear of being sued, that's to blame.  Health and
safety is merely waved around as the excuse.

It's just a pain, especially when the rules and reasons given seemt o
defy common sense, reason or show ignorance of particular guidelines.

Paul

I think part of it stems from the ambulance chasing culture. Companies are so afraid of getting sued by employees etc. For instance, when I worked at Gemini FM, the station administrator used to go replacing the cardboard recycle bins as they had rips in which was a risk (so some of the presenters went around ripping them for fun).

Where I'm working at the moment they are very hot on H&S, okay they are an alloy plant so in some areas I can see the point, but in every part of the site, if you go up and down stairs you HAVE to hold the hand rail and you can't carry anything upstairs. Contractors seen ignoring these rules are escorted off site immediately.

Rob

It's not only the ambulance chasing culture.

Firms often, to safeguard costs, will contract other firms only if the firm conforms to a specific ISO quality assurance standard. Within the quality ISO will be a H&S requirement which is often OTT/inappropriate for the task.

In these situations you will often find things such as notices exasperate or even raise bewildered smile.

Keith