Re: [LUG] no login with ubuntu 10.04

I had this with a Mint laptop ( running for 2 years ok then (somebody?))
install spotify through wine.
a fsck didn't cure it after booting to init 1

Similar errors as described.
Have you got X running?
do you get a login screen?

if yes use nautilus and with Ctrl H show hidden files and delete
/.gconf

/.config

/.gnome2

if no use command line  and do the same

this has the effect of forcing the system to a state where it has no
essential packages and after login package manager updates about 234
packages.

let it do this and the user's desk top will be ok
just apply the customisations, ie wallpaper, compiz settings etc as they
were before.  No user docs or email is lost

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 14:59 +0100, Gibbs wrote:
> On 07/10/10 14:10, james kilty wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 11:14 +0100, tom wrote:
> >

> > > My solution was to make sure there was a desktop (reinstall gdm) - make
> > > a new user and log in there and if possible work with that.
> > >
> > I tried sudo apt-get install gdm and it said it was there.
> >
> > I then tried sudo apt-get install grub and it did upgrade it.
> >
> > No luck however on reboot - what next? There is no line beginning EE in
> > the log file Xorg.0.log.
> >
> > James
> >
> Have you tried starting gdm? Try
>
> sudo service gdm start