Re: [LUG] no login with ubuntu 10.04

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 14:10 +0100, james kilty wrote:
I tried sudo apt-get install gdm and it said it was there.

I then tried sudo apt-get install grub and it did upgrade it.

No luck however on reboot - what next? There is no line beginning EE in
the log file Xorg.0.log.
Are you missing the "plymouth" package?

apt-get install plymouth

and then reboot. If "plymouth" is already there, do

mv -f /bin/plymouth /bin/plymouth_bkup

and then reboot. I'm guessing you may get more error messages after this which may point you to a more targeted solution.

Failing that,

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
aptitude full-upgrade