Re: [LUG] BT and broadband

On 04/10/10 17:29, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 04/10/2010 15:47, Henry Bremridge wrote:
Aggghhhhh

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/oct/04/bt-broadband

    BT says it will carry out a "nationwide survey" to establish the
    demand among communities for high-speed broadband based on
    fibre-optic cable – setting areas in competition against one
    another, with the prize being an upgrade to faster internet
    connectivity.

    The company will be running the survey as a competition, which will
    continue to the end of the year: BT says it will "enable
    communities to express their desire for the service. This will help
    BT identify 'hot spots' where demand is high and influence the
    company's future deployment plans." So far, 4m premises are "within
    reach" of BT's fibre broadband, but that must grow beyond 16m for
    BT to reach its target of delivering high-speed fibre-optic
    broadband to two thirds of the UK by 2015.

How the heck do you determine high demand through a competition? (I like BT
because ...?)
Possibly they're thinking 'if we just ask people they'll ignore us, but if we ask while offering the chance of winning something we'll get more responses'?

Julian

Probably something more on the lines of 'if we have a competition then we can use the info collected for a spam campaign'
Tom te tom te tom