Re: [LUG] Fwd: 'Super-fast' broadband announced

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 30/09/10 13:36, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 30/09/10 13:05:35, Julian Hall wrote:
 FYI :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11444083

quote>
A £132 funding pot is being shared by the European Union and BT.
<quote

Going to be high quality equipment then!
I would pay double that to get fiber to my home!

It's £132 million you numptys...

From the report:

  A new £132 million investment to deliver fibre-broadband to Cornwall has
  been announced today which will see between 80% and 90% of homes and
  businesses connected by 2014 to super-fast broadband. The remaining
  10-20% of properties are to get access to faster broadband by other
  means such as Satellite or Wireless.

I can't see anyone in their right minds wanting satellite, and we already did wireless in Cornwall (8 years ago)

yeah,  i read on text service thing a while back they did a test between
broadband and a few pigeons with sd cards attached to them or something,

the pidgeos won,  this was somewhere else in Englandm but was done to
prove a point at how slow broadband is in some areas

I don't think these tests are very fair at all - it was a bit of a foregone conclusion - anyone could work out what how long the upload would take over their slow ADSL line - they deliberately picked soemthing that would take hours, yet knew the pidgeon would take a fraction of that.

Why don't they try it again, this time London to New York...

Still - it got them the publicity they wanted. Maybe if they had £132 million tos pend they could get faster broadband...

Feeling a bit cynical today... Hmph. Broadband isn't a right, someone, somewhere has to pay for it, and that £132 million has come from European tax payers money, and where it is going? Into the pockets of a greedy privately owned telecoms company )-:

Gordon