Re: [LUG] Fwd: 'Super-fast' broadband announced

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Quoting Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

FYI :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11444083

And

 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/30/bt_cornwall_broadband/

AKA: Cornwall Wins, Devon loses.

No mention of any Devon areas in the last round of exchanges to be upgrade:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4401-bt-openreach-announce-159-new-fibre-broadband-exchanges.html

Hmph.

Gordon

I'm sure I read something on ThinkBroadband.com about Plymouth and Ivybridge getting FTTC possibly by the end of next year with the option for some subscribers getting the option to FTTP although it didn't say from what I remember if the FTTP was for those who are far away from a cabinet or near to a cabinet.

Plymouth has WBC (24Mb), Ivybridge doesn't. Neither have FTTC dates set, so I doubt they'll get that soon...

I see in other news Virgin are upgrading the upload speeds of subscribers so upload speeds will be 10% of the download speed, so 50MBit down/5Mbit up, 20MBit down/2Mbit up and 10MBit down/1MBit up. The only drawback being that P2P is now being throttled in peak time. I do wonder if that is partly to do with BT rolling FTTC?

Give with one hand, take with the other...

Still, good news for the folks in Cornwall, I wonder when it'll come to rural areas of Devon?

Hahahaha.... barely 10% of our exchanges have 24Mb capability let alone FTTC...

Cornwall get lots of money from various places because it's a deprived county... so they give it all to BT )-: We need Devon to start campaigning more to grab some of that money... (Only to find it's all gone) BT can sing and dance becasue they get to tick boxes that says they put services into rural communities, but I feel it's nothing but a publicity stunt and the people in the real rural communities will still be no better off.

Gordon