Re: [LUG] [ubuntu-uk] usb devices and ubuntu 10.04

 Hi Paul,

I've had no problems with this from, broadly, 7.x to 10.04/10.10.

/media should be dynamically creating folder names to mount things.

From what I can tell, you have several problems of problems:

1 - the Sansa MP3 player sometimes mounts and sometimes randomly unmounts
2 - the USB hard drive mounts when plugged in directly, but not via the hub
3 - you can only access one USB drive through the hub

Is that correct?

The behaviour you're describing sounds rather a lot like something I have experienced: a dodgy USB cable and/or connection-- you might check the cable, the socket on the hub, and the socket on the mp3 player.

Once you've cleared cables, try this:

What is the output of "lsusb" with:
- evertything unplugged
- the hub only plugged in (no devices attached to it)
- the hub plugged in with 1, then 2 devices attached to it.

That'll let you know waht the USB bus is seeing. You might also google the model number of your hub and "linux" or "ubuntu" to see if other folks are experiencing the same issue. I would suspect that the system isn't seeing the hub as a hub, so only able to attach one device on to it.

Hope this helps.

Glen