Re: [LUG] auto creating fstab

On 30/09/10 09:27, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, tom wrote:

I've got my system mounting drives as I want it
Many moons ago one could type mount -p>/etc/fstab to get the current settings to be setup on boot.
This not longer works
Any idea how to do that now?

mount -p is for mounting a device with an encryption passphrase..

I'd sort of suggest that blindly overwriting /etc/fstab is a bad idea though - especially if you have devices mounted after the system boots - because if they're not there at the next boot, you'll have issues...

mount on it's own will list the mounted filesystems, but not in a format suitable for /etc/fstab

I don't know of a way to list mounts in that format - it's never something that I've ever considered... I actually hand-craft my /etc/fstab at system build time and never bother with any sortof automounter, hardware detect bloatware... but then, I'm not afraid to hand-type a mount command...
Like I say - I've got my system mounted as I want it. Maybe I'm wrong about mount -p but I'm sure there was something that basically gave you fstab. I wouldnt overwrite without checking first either. I'm OK with hand typing - but these bloody UUIDs etc are a bit hard to check and even with cut and paste (only access over ssh) its a bit hairy. And as for build time - these sodding USB devices often arnt there at build time!
Tom te tom te tom