Re: [LUG] usb devices and ubuntu 10.04

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:05:11 +0100
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> using ubuntu 10,04 I am trying to copy data to a sansa clip usb mp3
> player

My wife has one of these!

> if I plug it in as me, then it sometimes mounts and I can view the
> data on it, however it does not always mount properly or seems to
> randomly disconnect and the icon is removed from the desktop

IIRC the Sansa has 2 modes - either "usb storage" mode or "media device"
mode.  The mode is selectable from the Sansa's mini menu thingy.  In
"usb storage" mode it should present to the system just as any other
USB pendrive would.  In "media device", however, it will present as an
MTP device and may require extra tools to use.

> my user is a admin user on ubuntu,
>
> if i try and plug it in as a normal user nothing seems to happen at
> all with the music device, the external hard disk seems well behaved
> for the most part.
>
> i also have a usb hard disk which if plugged in to the desktop system,
> directly mounts,  if I try and plug this in to the usb external hub it
> won't mount,

It may be that your external harddrive requires some extra charge from
the USB port to work correctly, and using a non-powered hub doesn't
provide it.  Most external harddrives that need the extra juice will
come with a USB-Y cable to draw current from 2 USB ports at the same
time.

> if I try and plug both devices in to the external hub i get either one
> or the other mounting,  but not both if they are both plugged in

See above.

> what has changed in terms of the content of /media it used to have
> folders which I now understand are dynamically created.

The directories under /media are, generally, created on the fly as
devices are attached.  However, there is nothing stopping you from
doing things the old-school way - creating the directory and creating
an entry in /etc/fstab with it.

> before we had folders that acted as mount points,  something has
> changed between 10.04 and earlier versions in the way ubuntu handles
> things I am getting lots of messages referring to dbus,  so not sure
> if there are know bugs in that.

We can still use directories as mount points, if you want.

Grant.