Re: [LUG] OO dumps O

On 28/09/10 18:24, tom brough wrote:
On 28/09/10 17:58, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:02:54 +0100
tom wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/28/openoffice_independence_from_oracle/

Tom te tom te tom

Although I understand the reasons behind the move, I'm not sure many
non-Open-Sourcey type people will understand the idea of forking and
how "LibreOffice = OpenOffice.org".  I imagine it will take a while for
LibreOffice to gain the same level of use/support as OpenOffice.org
does currently.

It's a rubbish new name - even if it means well. Hope the group can get
the name off Oracle (not that that's a good name either, but it's a name
people have knows for a long time)

More on /.

   http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/09/28/143204

Gordon

I remember when a Snickers bar was called Marathon ... Yes I really am
that old. But the change in name doesn't stop me eating the bar as it
still tastes the same.

Yep I remember that, and more recently when Jif changed it's name to Cif and Opel Fruits became Starburst. You're not that old remembering the old Marathon, heck I remember when Yorkie was made by Roundtrees and not that Nestle sweet sickly stuff they have now.

I suppose if the name stays as LibreOffice then eventually we'll get used to it. I see the versions they have on the site are Beta's too so I'd probably still recommend OpenOffice for the time being

It might take some time for a few people to come around, but regular
open source users will just fire up the apps and get on with the work.....

Yep, I guess as long as it does the job. Heck some people might just call it Office, or *shudders* Word, Excel etc.

While I agree with you Gordon that keeping the openoffice.org name would
give the product continuity .... on the other hand if they had called it
LibreOffice in the first place I would have preferred that to
OpenOffice.org.

Yep. I wonder, would it be much use to Oracle to keep the name? I mean they have StarOffice which presumably they sell to customers and it makes them some money. Can't say I've seen any adverts for StarOffice in either OOo or Java, I do tend to see adverts for OOo in the Java installer for Windows though.

Sadly Sun didn't do enough to protect its products when it had the
strength to... For example Sun didn't do the right thing by Java 5-7
years ago and now it looks like another period of IP rights litigation.

Yep, someone on The Register commented saying that Oracle might become the next Microsoft.

Unfortunately a lot of peoples freedoms are now being restricted by
Oracles actions. Its sad that Oracle are not entering into the true
spirit of open source. Still they are just exercising their rights under
law i guess ...... :-(

Yep, it's a shame, seems like they're bent on turning the community against them. Suppose it's just business though at the end of the day.

Rob