Re: [LUG] OO dumps O

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:24:41 +0100
tom brough wrote:
> I remember when a Snickers bar was called Marathon ... Yes I really am
> that old. But the change in name doesn't stop me eating the bar as it
> still tastes the same.

"Do you have ze snickers?"
"No love, it's just the way I walk!"
I remember the change too.

> It might take some time for a few people to come around, but regular
> open source users will just fire up the apps and get on with the
> work...

Yep, but what about those non-open source users?  We have
OpenOffice.org installed on pretty much all workstations and laptops at
my College.  My previous employer always installed OpenOffice.org on
the laptops provided to their training customers.  In neither case was
this decision made based on the open source nature of OpenOffice.org.

> While I agree with you Gordon that keeping the openoffice.org name
> would give the product continuity .... on the other hand if they had
> called it LibreOffice in the first place I would have preferred that
> to OpenOffice.org.

What would you have suggested?  I quite like OpenOffice as a name, I
just think it's a shame they had to put the .org on the end of the
actual product name - but completely understandable given the situation.

Grant.