Re: [LUG] $35 Linux Laptop

On 22/09/10 22:10, tom brough wrote:

> Accepted that worldwide price will inflate but I
> would hope not to the extremes of $120.

My 120USD estimate was based on what a device with that kind of hardware
expense typically costs retail, add more to subsidize others.

The USD35 figure is not a retail price, and isn't far removed from the
component cost of other similar devices already on sale.

If one ignores hardware and software development costs, distribution
costs etc, one can get the headline figure much lower, but then it isn't
great innovation in anything but marketing.

> The only thing we can do is wait and see what really happens, but
> frankly I hope the Indian Government get a good return on such an
> investment.

They have a long track record of failure in these endeavours.