Re: [LUG] 64 bit

> I have no interest in gaming so I just do emails, browsing and playing
> around with digital photos using the Gimp. would there be any advantage in
> going for 64 bit? Would there be any disadvantages or problems?

Advantages: speed (shown up to 50% faster doing some things)...
being able to use >4GB memory (but you could in 32bit if you compiled in PAE)

Problems:
None that I face - if you have a wavefinder, its firmware files don't
work on anything except 32bit annoyingly
There used to be problems with Java and Flash - but now they're gone.
I daresay Adobe will mess you around like they did when they took
64-bit Flash 10.1 off the market! But 10.2's back for it.
Difficult to get Java with signed applets running... unsigned are OK
with sun-java7 (icedtea) - this can be rectified by downloading
official 64bit java plugin from their site and manually installing it
like flash

I've been on 64-bit since I built this beast of a hexacore PC - no
other problems yet!
Oh, btw: Virtualisation is REALLY good.

Cheers