Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 10:39, tom wrote:
> On 15/09/10 09:15, Simon Waters wrote:
>>
>> I see the issue as freedom, and I think recent actions in the DRM field
>> by Apple are making it very clear to others that freedom matters. This
>> may finally be the year of the "Linux Desktop", but the Linux desktop
>> called Android, and it doesn't look much like most folk imagined it
>> would a few years back.
>>

> You been drinking my homebrew?
> "Apple are making it very clear to others that freedom matters"
> only if you buy their kit!

You've been doing a course in journalism haven't you ;)

> Android is not a linux desktop - its a linux small device screen manager.
> It may advance phones but its functionality compared to even the
> simplest desktop is very restricted.

All the tablet form factor Androids do far more than my desktop does out
of the box. Sure I can plug in a couple of cameras, and many other
devices to my desktop, but people mostly don't want the hassle and don't
need it. The main limiting factor is that Google wants to do a dedicated
tablet OS, and the question remains will they switch to an Android base
for that, or persist in what they are doing.

In terms of sheer numbers if you are using a mail application, or web
browser on Linux, you are already many more times more likely to be
using it on Android than on a traditional desktop PC.