[LUG] very stupid data delition and recovery

 Hi

I managed to overwrite my external backup disk after having installed a new distro on my PC. This means all my photos, music, documents etc are GONE! Which sent me into a great depression.

However I have found some data recovery software (testdisk package) which works fine. I have already managed to recover stuff from an external drive I had passed on to my mum and based on that as a trial run will now have a go at the terrabyte drive that opensuse's guided install overwrited.

The problem here is that I will end up with around 700GB, being 3 almost identical backups.All files are renamed, only the suffix's remain. However this is not my problem. %90 of this stuff is xml, php, txt files from the cache - graphics from applications like "Stop" buttons and smaller, also dll's from my virtual windows machine.

My command line skills are minimal. If I am in a directory called "recover" with 3000 sub directories what command can I use to
    a delete all files callled *.xml
    b delete empty sub directories

I'm sure this is trivial stuff and I can do it via the gui, but command line must be faster, so any advice is welcome.

Thanks
   Simon