Re: [LUG] Debian Squeeze

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 02:25:52PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> >
> >Switched her system from Ubuntu to Squeeze/Gnome and there is an increasing
> >problem in that her desktop freezes: keyboard / mouse does not work. If I
> >log in remotely and kill Xorg then the machine resets and no problem
> >
> >The machine has nvidia graphics and I think under Ubuntu the restricted nvidia
> >driver
> >was used.
> >
> >Looked at  http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers and tried to change
> >the drivers but # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does nothing
>
> Where did you get "dpkg-reconfigure..." command from, it isn't in
> the Wiki instructions.
>
> What did you do precisely.

At the moment I have done nothing, apart from running
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That did not generate any visible output

on the offchance that if the installation command is apt-get xserver-xorg
the reconfigure command may allow me to set the configurations by hand
(much as was done before Xorg was released)

http://wiki.debian.org/ConfigureX
http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg about 1/3 way down the page

There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf and I have yet to run Xorg -configure as
root in a console.

I do not even know what the problem is exactly. The symptoms are after a
period of use, the desktop freezes. No mouse, no keyboard. This was after a
default install of debian-testing.

Oddly enough:
-   The problem seems to have got worse after she started storing files on
    the desktop
-   The problem seems to be triggered by internet browsing (I am not sure
    whether it is browsing / email or time)

I know Ubuntu used a Nvidia restricted driver and I wonder whether it is
worth my while installing that.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.