Re: [LUG] cable for saturday

On 07/08/10 10:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

The room we are in on saturday does not have any cat 5 sockets, however
if someone can bring 25 -30 m of cat 5 cable then I can plug it in to
the hub in the IT room and we should then have net access

this is a normal hub, so a straight through cable should plug in to a
laptop, if we want more then we need to plug in to a wireless extender
(or something ) or another hub, if it needs a 2nd hub we may need a
cross over cable again 30m.

If people have the right bits and pieces then I am sure between us we
can make something work.

I think I have enough cable spare and the kit to termate the ends -
and an 8-port switch, and even maybe a Wi-Fi access point.

OK - Just done a check (last minute, I know ;-)

And I only have a 12m cable - however if we can use that and stick an
access point at the end of it, it might help. I'll bring the cable,
access point and a power strip.

If anyones got more cable, I can terminate it, if needed, but let me
know so I know to bring the kit.

As a matter of fact I do have a length of cable, not sure how long, 7 r 8 metres maybe which is unterminated. I'll bring it along.

I'll try and bring along a 4 gang too.

Rob