Re: [LUG] Wave goodbye

On 05/08/10 12:30, Rhia Knowles wrote:

> It was good but got slow too quickly, and it's need for GoogleGears
> for more file uploading and dloading when the gears for firefox
> refused to install on Firefox3 were the major problems with it.

Many of the underlying ideas were sound, but the implementation had
major bugs, it was slow, the controls were wonky. I suspect the
marketing folk didn't understand it either, so they promoted things like
concurrent editing which hardly anyone needs (although it is easy to
demo, and looks different if you've never used a concurrent editor
before, so marketing like that sort of thing).

But the biggest mistake by far is lacking backward compatibility.

As Google recognise all these things work by critical mass. No one would
deploy SMTP email these days on technical merit, X400 was technically
better, most of the IM systems are technically better. But more people
has access to SMTP, and at that point it became easier to have native
SMTP than to try and tunnel in and out.

If it had been released as an integrated update to Google mail it would
probably have succeeded in spite of it's short comings.