Re: [LUG] Fwd: Web attack knows where you live

On 05/08/10 12:48, Rhia Knowles wrote:

> It was enabled for me by default too.

Yes, that is the default but what does it actually do?

Firefox geo location always prompt before geo location information is
sent remotely. So I don't think it being enabled is an issue.  The only
reason to disable it permanently is to avoid being prompted if you know
you'll never want to reveal your location to any website - which seems
unlikely.

If you don't have a wireless card all it is going to do is send your IP
address and a cookie, which the remote end could get without this
service anyway.

The actual exploit is documented here, and has nothing to do with
Firefox Geo Location other than using the same database from Google.

http://samy.pl/mapxss/

The specific attack only works with a specific router from Verizon, and
some of us have extra firefox plug-ins to try and minimize the risks
from XSS attacks.

One also has to wonder how much more "vulnerable" one is to having one's
computer location identified. I'm really not that worried, as any one
who does a comprehensive check on my IP address will discover.

So does Mozilla needs to do anything? No.

If one is really worried about this sort of attack, then changing your
wireless routers settings, and MAC address is probably the way to go.
Google won't be refreshing the database the hard way frequently,
although they may be refining it based on usage.

 Simon