Re: [LUG] old laptop linux

On 04/08/10 18:54, alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi to all,i have aquired an old laptop dell latitude,450mhz cpu,6gb hard drive 256
ram,can any one suggest a distro that will run on this.
but please remember its got to be fairly idiot proof to in stall.
cheers alex the (upancoming idiot) noob

Hi Alex,

I am just about to send 7 recycled laptops to the Cameroon, admittedly they are 600Mhz, but they only have 128Mb ram and about the same HDD capacity. The best mix of response / functionality that I could get from them was from the puppy linux distro.

Abiword and Gnumeric are the norm for wp / spreadsheet but they are serviceable. Network is usable if a little tricky to set up initially. l

Overall I would recommend it for something of that specification.

If you can make it to the meeting @ Paignton on Saturday I would be happy to install it for you.

Tom.

Tom.