Re: [LUG] old laptop linux

On 04/08/10 19:14, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:54 PM,<alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
hi to all,i have aquired an old laptop dell latitude,450mhz cpu,6gb hard drive 256
ram,can any one suggest a distro that will run on this.
but please remember its got to be fairly idiot proof to in stall.
cheers alex the (upancoming idiot) noob
Hi Alex :-)

I'm pretty new too; but have read about several distro's for older
hardware. I added 2 articles to the "useful links" page of the dcglug
site (in the older hardware section), they may be of use:-

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/node/95

There are lots of distros for older hardware it would seem. Puppy
linux might be a good place to start. It runs in ram and is really
quick.

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Other options:-

Vector Linux.

DSL - Dam small linux is often mentioned but does not seem to always
get great write ups.

Slitaz linux has a very small 30MB install CD.

A customised version of Debian perhaps? (i dont know enough about
this. Probably more difficult to install?)

Why not have a look on distrowatch.org for any more lite-weight distros?

Although I have done a _little_ reading about "lite-weight" distro's I
have not had time to install many on my old hardware. Others will have
greater experience and be able to provide better guidance.

I would have thought Puppy linux would be a reasonable place to start.
It is available as a live CD so that you can simply try it out. It
seems fairly easy :-) and I believe is now based on ubuntu 10.04.

I hope this helps? I would be interested to know how you get on? If
you find any good articles perhaps you could add them to the useful
links page?

Best wishes
roly