[LUG] ssh problem

I have just changed computers and will be using my old computer as an
external hard drive etc. I was then planning to access it over ssh while
travelling and initially all worked well using my current lap top to access
my wifi and then to the old machine.

Then I noted that:
- my laptop was accessing the local web with dhcp when on set up I
  specified a static IP address
- My local ip address was not the static IP address I had specified

I then played around a bit with wicd trying to get a static IP address for
wifi at home and that works, but now I cannot access my old computer over
SSH

$ ssh -v 192.168.1.1

OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-4, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.51 [192.168.1.51]
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.51: Connection refused
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.51: Connection refused

- I can ping 192.168.1.51
- There is nothing on the firewalls to indicate the connection has been
  refused
- I have purged ssh-client and reinstalled in case there was a setting that
  I made in error

Can anyone point out what I might have done to turn off ssh?

Many thanks

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.