Re: [LUG] OT: Virgin broadband three times faster than ADSL

 On 01/08/2010 22:47, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 22:44:15 +0100
Rhia Knowles wrote:

On 29 July 2010 11:15, Julian Hall<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
  'Virgin Media's cable services are more than three times as fast
as any ADSL provider, according to Ofcom's latest broadband speeds
research.  The Ofcom study, conducted with SamKnows Broadband,
measures the actual connection speeds delivered to more than 1,500
residential broadband users in May 2010'

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/359782/virgin-broadband-three-times-faster-than-adsl
So what happened to 20x then?
Or was it "upto 20x"? :D

Grant.

I'm on a 20Mb cable connection and using a download manager I do get pretty much full whack - depending of course as always on how busy the network is between me and the server. It is always significantly faster than just downloading the same item via HTTP with all the overhead that entails. True I don't get 20Mb off everything, and I wouldn't expect to, however I think the difference between what I'm supposed to get and what I do get is much smaller on cable than it seems to be on ADSL (Another Damn Slow Line?)

Julian