Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

 On 28/07/2010 12:31, Mark Evans wrote:

The bottleneck need not even be whatever you are communicating with.
In order to get that 20M the server at the other end together with
every link and router involved needs to have least 20M available
for your traffic. Together with an unknown bandwidth/minimum delay
in the other direction. If there is actually 20M available from the
server to you, but the link from you to the server is so congested
that it is dropping or taking a long time to route them you won't
be able to use that 20M.

Very true, even at my end (at home) I find that sometimes even though my connection can support the 20Mbit, if I'm using wireless I can sometimes only get about 10Mbit. Normally I'm just connected in via 100Mbit Ethernet anyway so I get the full 20Mbit.

Rob