Re: [LUG] Devon is offline...

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Roland Tarver wrote:

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

No www.devon.gov.uk for now...

Aparently they have a "power surge" earlier today.

Must have been a f'ing good one to blow up their UPSs and protection in
their data suite. No DCC computers can be used right now - no remote sites,
no remote access. Nothing.

Wifey is most un-amused.

Imagine not having an off-site backup for a corporate web site as
important as devon.gov.uk ...

Imagine not being able to use any computer in DCC right now...

Oh, and everyone has been told not to use the phone either! Not that they
can call anyone as the phone-list is kept online...

Nightmare!

Yes. You now have 3000+ people who can't do their job. This is costing DCC a stupid amount of money an hour in terms of lost work.

Their website is still not online and wifey has been told not to expect full restoration of services until 11am tomorow.

I guess that whoever built their data centre for them did a poor job. All their desktops seems to have survived the power cut and subsequent "surge" so why didn't the data centre? I want to see nothing short of a mushroom cloud over their data centre as an explanation... Normally I'd not care less, but this is my council tax money that's being wasted here.

Did someone mention building a data centre in the south west? Lets do it
and get DCC as customer No. 1 ...

Ah, looks like the website is back - well, almost... Click on a link and I get:

  WebEngine error: Could not open database connect: ORA-12541: TNS:no
  listener [SQLConnect failed to attach to the target server. ]

Ho hum...

Gordon