Re: [LUG] DNA - free mobile calls!!!

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, tom wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/seealso/2010/07/tech_brief_47.html

This could cause a riot in a few   mobile companies.
And I guess it would probably apply to VOIP too ( if not it should).
Hackable but fun...

It's an interesting concept, but for it to work, then everyone would have to have the software on their phone, and have it running... And, like skype, etc. you're only going to get free phone calls to others on the network, with their phone turned on, in-range, connected to the "mesh"...

And if you've already got a mesh network - which they have with additional hardware, then you might as well use standard SIP client software built into most phones these days rather then encumber each phone with a copy of asterisk...

It's a bit of a sledgehammer approach, I think... But it does appear to work..

Gordon