Re: [LUG] Ensuring data is on disk

On 10/07/10 21:01, Simon Waters wrote:
> Curiosity driven question.
>
> If I write data to my external hard disk, how can I ensure that a read
> to verify that data isn't using a cache?

sync ? Or am I missing the point.

When you do a sync; the buffers get forced out to disk, as an integrity
check the block written is re-read and the CRC header on the block is
checked (is this not why writes take longer than reads). I guess you
would not know if the subsequent read came from the buffer or from a
buffer freshly read from disk, but at least you would know that the
write had been completed and checked?

Tom.