Re: [LUG] Free software clock

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, george parker wrote:

Just what I need to get my wife to be ready on time

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/40246-radclock-delivers-atomic-clock-accuracy-through-software

And this is better than NTP which has been around for 15+ year how?

Ugh. Thought I'd heard of this before - it's not that new (ok, a few months ;-) and digging through some history, I find this page:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1773943

And I think it was on /. too.

So it's new new kid on the block - arguably better than NTP, but needs kernel patches for now, but looks promising...

I used to run a stratum 1 NTP server once upon a time based on the MSF radio clock and a home made reciever connected to a serial port - maybe I'll resurect it again, but where my server is at home, behind a few feet of Devon granite wasn't a good location and it refused to work when I tried it up in Sheffield (too much interference, I suspect). I still have a server or 2 lurking in Bristol so maybe I'll try it there again...

Gordon