Re: [LUG] 8GB of RAM in 32-bit machine...

Max Siegieda wrote:
> I'm no expert but every report and my own experience has been that you
> cant have 4GB of RAM in a 32bit machine, physically it'll fit but it
> wont be in use

That is what the Linux bigmem kernels do, that uses PAE which is
universal in x86 family processes that are likely to fit a motherboard
that can handle that much memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

> and it's a case of luck as to how much beyond 2GB is
> registered.

Luck?

My 4GB machine here has almost all of it available for use by process
using default kernel settings of a 32bit kernel.

Now the processes themselves hit a 3GB limit because of how the kernel
authors chose the layout the virtual memory but virtual memory has very
little to do with real memory.