Re: [LUG] PHP, Perl, server securing, etc.

Did 2k ship with the Messenger service? I know on WinXP and the 2003
it was and until SP2 iirc was on by default.

I saw a newly purchased XP laptop owned in minutes when someone (not
me, i add) went to download dialup settings for his ISP using one of
the Microsoft provided 'set up an ISP' dialup numbers. As soon as he
dialed up, he was getting messenger spam. I told him how to turn it
off, got a AV and firewall on a CDR and helped him clean the nasties
off.