Re: [LUG] first computer

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 07:35 +0100, richard wrote:
> I rather rashly said my six year old son could have a computer for his
> next birthday, I thought about a netbook. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Netbooks are decent, especially for a child, the wife and I have one
each.

We got our kids an Acer Revo desktop though. Its basically a netbook in
a small case (needs keyboard/lcd ofc), the case can be fixed to the rear
of the LCD monitor for tidiness as its small.

I preferred to get them that rather than a netbook as they can't walk
off out of sight with it. The lad is nine and the girl 6, they have
their DNS served by OpenDNS with a lot of filtered categories for
malware/adult/racist sites etc, but its no substitute for being in my
line of sight ;)

Check if you qualify for a Home Access computer, if your kid receives
free school dinners then its automatic, if not you may still qualify.

http://www.homeaccess.org.uk/

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides