Re: [LUG] Dual booting new laptop

On 23/06/10 09:23, Henry Bremridge wrote:
Many thanks for all suggestions.

1)  Lilo: will look at a bit later, currently creating DVD restore. Ditto
     the Debian encryption choices.

Sounds good. I always remember Lilo being reasonably easy to configure. I've tried changing the Grub configuration a few times but only been able to make minor changes.

2)  Will run gparted externally

Cool, you should be able to run it from a standard Live CD, or grab the GParted Live CD from here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

3)  For amusement, battery life after fully charged overnight: 3 Hrs 25

     Turned off Aero:   5 hrs 29
     Removed MS Works and mcafee:       10 hrs 27

Is that actual running time or estimated running time as given by Windows?

4)  I need Microsoft .NET and probably Silverlight as some websites seem to
     demand both

A lot of new programs for Windows are written in .Net. IIRC you should be able to get away with .Net 1.1 and .Net 3. Don't forget the service packs though (you should be able to grab it all from Windows Update, now helpfully found in Control Panel on Windows Vista and Windows 7).

     Any thoughts on deleting any of the following:
     MS office suite activation? (Presumably this is junk)

If you're not running MS Office then yep, you should be able to get rid of it.

     MS SQL Server 2005 compact edition? (why would they include this?)

Some of the Windows Live software makes use of this (god knows why!). There might be some other applications using it too.

     MS Visual C++ 2005 redistributable? (why would they include this?)

I'd keep that, a fair few applications use it. Basically it's a load of shared libraries for applications which are written in Visual C++ 2005. In a way it's a bit like the old Visual Basic runtimes. You'll probably find removing this may stop some applications from running.

     Can anyone think of an advantage of MS Live or MyWinLocker?

Windows Live is now a suite of applications which includes Windows Live Movie Maker (for video editing, and saving mainly in proprietary formats), Windows Live Messenger (for instant messaging), Windows Live Photo Editor (for basic photo editing), Windows Live Toolbar (an annoying Internet Explorer toolbar which uses Bing search) and Windows Live Family Safety (Basic net-nanny type controls).

If you're not likely to run any of these then you should be okay to get rid of them. It might be what is using the SQL Server compact edition actually.

Not sure about MyWinLocker, sounds like some sort of encryption software or 'cloud' file storage.

Rob