Re: [LUG] Wifi woes

On 22/06/2010 11:11, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
On 22/06/10 10:13, Neil Winchurst wrote:
My old D-Link router was on its way out so recently I got a new router
for my birthday. The new one is a Netgear DG834G.

My desk top is cable linked so that is fine. My Presario laptop works
fine with the new wifi link. Unfortunately my wife's Fujitsu laptop
running XP will not work with the new wifi. It cannot find a connection.

<snip>

If anyone can come up with some ideas or suggestions please .....

First of all, I guess the easiest step would be to try changing the
channel on the router, maybe try a couple of different channels, or even
all of them.  Depending on how many other wireless networks are in your
area you may find that some of the networks are interfering with each
other (I get this in my area, makes the wireless almost unusable
sometimes).

Does the laptop see the wifi network at all?

My dad had a similar problem where his laptop would see the wifi network
but not accept the key.  Turns out the key was too short which was
causing problems, making the key 8 characters or more worked fine.

If it's not seeing the connection at all, could you try booting from a
live CD to see if the laptop picks up the connection on Linux?

There could possibly be a driver update available for the wireless card
(you may find running Windows Update will find a newer driver).

Rob

As you will see from my other reply I have set the router to use channel
6 and it all works fine now. Thanks for your help,

Neil

For future reference of anyone with Winblows wireless issues:

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Shows you all the available wireless networks the (presumably) laptop can see, including ESSID, encryption (whether it is or not), channel, SNR, strength etc.

Julian