Re: [LUG] Speaking of Perl

On 21 June 2010 11:41, John Horne <john.horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 20:31 +0100, Martijn Grooten wrote:
>>
>> So do people still use Perl professionally? Privately? Are new people
>> (say at uni) still learning Perl?
>>
> I use perl at work as a sysadmin tool. It is easy (for me now) to
> quickly put together a short program to (for example) analyse large
> amounts of output. It is possible to string together commands such a
> grep, awk, sed etc, but that can at times get a bit convoluted. Using a
> perl script makes it a bit easier.
>
> I have used python, but not ruby, but found no real reason to persist
> with it as I had used perl for a few years prior to looking at python. I
> saw no reason to change from perl :-)
>
> No idea whether perl is taught here.

I don't believe it is, but then it never was - it was something the
ultra-nerds in the CANDI/CSN (and possibly some bio-science) courses
or Termisoc taught themselves.

I'm eternally grateful to the previous generation of termisoccers for
bringing me into the Perl fold - I went straight into a job as soon as
I finished my degree, and was mentored there by two well known and
prolific Perl/CPAN authors.

Lyle at bath.pm has been running courses for students up at UWE, I'm
sure we could probably organise something for students and staff at
plymouth if there was some interest.

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons