Re: [LUG] Odd Firefox + php.net behaviour

On 17/06/10 08:07, Wills Fidell wrote:
All,

At first I thought this was my imagination, but it is definitely happening:

If I open up a php.net function manual page, say http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php, in Firefox the cpu usage jumps to 99% for a period of a few seconds before the page finally loads, and there is a corresponding leap in memory usage too. The effect is more than enough to cause annoyance.

However, it is not just requesting the page for the first time that does this. Switching tabs from another site back to the php.net page does the same. In my test, carried out as I write this email, switching tabs caused FF to hang for 12s.

I have also just noticed that if I hide FF and then return to it when the 'top' page is php.net the same thing happens

This does not effect any other sites that I have come across.

So does anybody have any ideas what is going on?
Thats quite a long (big) page - is your graphics card setup with a proper driver or a default vga/svga or something as it may be asking the OS to store the off screen stuff rather than using its own memory.
Its a shot in the dark I admit..
Tom te tom te tom