Re: [LUG] Linux Trojan Raises Malware Concerns - might be of interest

On 15/06/10 11:02, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:40:01 +0100
> John Williams wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 22:12 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> And programs are too big these days too... I think it's unrealistic
>>> to actually inspect everything now
>>
>> I think that happened a short while after magazines stopped printing
>> C64 games and programs you could type in ;)
>
> Magazine code listings, however, introduced bugs and errors of their
> own... principally "fat fingers" errors.
>
> Grant.

I think this should raise the point on how exactly we should promote the
secure aspect of Linux based systems,

While Linux is more secure,  surely we need to put this in to some sort
of context, and perhaps say Linux is more secure, but you still need to
keep it up to date,  and follow any advice the comes out regarding
problems with either the kernel or any package that is installed on your
system.

The advice on running attachments while not always applicable directly
as I would have to give any scripts execute permission first.

any ideas on wording,  saying Linux is more secure, seems in the light
of this thread to need a bit more attached to it.

Paul