[LUG] Cost of computer programs

Does this make sense: Â600m to update the National Insurance database?
Or is this political point scoring?

    (NEST is the new compulsory pension scheme that was due to start in
    2012, I think)

http://www.ifaonline.co.uk/ifaonline/news/1648806/nest-admin-contract-re-examined

 The computer contract for administering the National Employment Savings
 Trust â signed by the Labour government just months before they left
 office â will be re-examined, David Laws says.

 The chief secretary to the treasury said he had written to all secretaries
 of state asking them to re-examine all spending approvals since January 1
 this year and all pilot schemes.

 Laws said, where projects were good value for money and consistent with
 the government's priorities, they would go ahead but, where they were not,
 "it would be irresponsible to waste money on them".

 He said there was "no point" in continuing pilot schemes where they were
 too costly to implement.

 Laws explained: "The Chancellor and I are united in our resolve to deal
 urgently and decisively with the unacceptable state of our public
 finances.  It is both possible and necessary to start taking action this
 year.

 "By making an early downpayment we are not only helping to reduce the
 deficit faster, we're sending a clear and strong message that we intend to
 do what's needed to repair our public finances and get our economy moving
 again."

 This comes after it was revealed the computer contract for administering
 the National Employment Savings Trust will cost Â600m.

 It is understood the contract will cost at least Â25m even if it is
 cancelled.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.