[LUG] Government IT Procurement Suggestion

Would a government policy of transferring the license costs for the
projected lifespan of a proprietary solution to be used in the
implementation of an open source alternative be feasible, affordable,
transparent and "fair" ?

For a long time UK governments have resisted any policy that could be
deemed as anti-competitive. To this end open-source solutions are locked
out because of initial implementation costs involved in conversion,
retraining etc. No party would wish to be seen as bias towards open
source by handing out money, or being seen to be tipping the scales in
any way.

However, if the average savings in licensing costs of the competitors
could be calculated and then transferred for initial implementation,
training etc ... could this be considered to be anti-competitive ?

Although initially no savings would have been made because the money
would be used in implementation longer term savings would be made in
terms of having gained experience in FLOSS technologies and practice,
and longer term savings as the product is extended into the future.

I'm sure this idea is flawed in some respect and as yet not fully
thought out but I am intrigued by the idea.

Any Comments ?

Tom.